Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to get to Buffalo State College?

patrick216
post Jul 21 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #1 

• Group: Members
  • Member No.: 22,587

I'm coming from New York City, and since my family doesn't have a car (we rely on public transportation) how can I get there? I was considering a bus like Megabus, Greyhound or via rail like Amtrak. But Amtrak will be more easier to transport because of luggage I plan to take with me. So you guys have any ideas?
Go to the top of the page
+Reply
JDar
post Jul 22 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #2 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 15,106

Personally, I started out flying back and forth, then I took Greyhound, until I was told about Megabus. Megabus is great. It's a double decker bus and super nice! You can have internet on the bus too. As an incoming first year student of course that will be hard to have all your stuff come this way just on a simple bus or train. Maybe you can box up stuff, and UPS it over to your residence hall? That would be a good idea, you should contact your local fed ex/ups store to see price options on that.

I recommend Megabus though. Price wise, it's been cheaper than Greyhound.
+Reply
fritter
post Jul 22 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #3 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 4,334

megabus is the cheapest, but they only allow you to check one bag and there is practically no leg room. I've taken them twice, and although the pick up and drop off locations are easy to get to it was the most uncomfortable 8 hours of my life. If you are trying to bring up a good amount of stuff I would recommend amtrak (exchange st location). Tons of room, extremely comfortable and I've been able to bring a good amount of luggage on (2 suit cases and a duffel bag)
+Reply
Amerosa
post Jul 22 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #4 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 12,689

I've flown and taken Amtrak, Amtrak was nice about the amount of stuff you can bring. Basically if you can take care of all of it by yourself then they'll let you bring it on. You will have to get a cab once you're in Buffalo though to get to the actual campus. As far as comfort goes, it's a 6 - 8 hour trip so you'll be uncomfortable sooner or later. Megabus does provide wifi for you but Amtrak provides many train cabins to walk and stretch through, as well as a food section.
+Reply
patrick216
post Jul 22 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #5 

• Member No.: 22,587

I will take Amtrak, I haven't bought my ticket yet. But I plan to take two suitcases with clothes and stuff, and ship other things via UPS to campus, and buy things over at Buffalo. I would take a bus like Megabus or greyhound, but this is an 8 hour trip so I would like to be comfortable and have something to eat while getting there. So Amtrak seems like a better option. Is that a good plan?

And few other questions.

What time do I have to be there, and will I be dorming with one or two people?

And is there a mall, or department store like Target or Wal-Mart near by?
+Reply
fritter
post Jul 23 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #6 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 4,334

amtrak also has outlets by every seat, so if you have a laptop you can watch movies or play games to help pass the time. The earlier you get here, the better since everyone is moving in on the same day. I know with amtrak from NYC the earliest train leaves at like 7-ish in the morning at gets to buffalo at 3pm, thats probably the best way to go. You will have to wait until early to mid-august to find out if you will be in a double or triple but the info will be online. There is a target about a 10 minute bus ride from campus. There is a mall, but its about a 45 minute bus ride from campus as well as walmart. Your best bet is to bring up your personal belonging (clothes, computer, etc) with you and to buy all the things you need for your dorm room when you get here (sheets, towels, toiletries, etc).
+Reply
Nana Serwaa
post Aug 2 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #7 

• Member No.: 22,802

QUOTE (patrick216 @ Jul 21 2011, 11:53 PM) *
I'm coming from New York City, and since my family doesn't have a car (we rely on public transportation) how can I get there? I was considering a bus like Megabus, Greyhound or via rail like Amtrak. But Amtrak will be more easier to transport because of luggage I plan to take with me. So you guys have any ideas?

Hi am also coming from New York City ad i m taking the Amtrak maybe e can take ittogethr if u want just let e know.
+Reply
NYCGirl
post Jul 11 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #8 

• Member No.: 47,939

I am dealing with the same issue. Leaving from NYC, using public transit. I've looked at shipping the items USPS and it will probably cost a few hundred dollars. for up to 4 24" square boxes (that is the size limit). I haven't looked into UPS or FedEx, which may be cheaper since they specialize in package delivery (as opposed to parcel delivery).

So far, Amtrak seems like the best option. Not as cheap as Megabus, but they allow up to 2 carryons and 3 checked "bags" per person. If travelling with a companion, that will allow for a lot of stuff, but managing getting all of the belongings from the Amtrak station to the school will be a challenge.
+Reply
NYCGirl
post Jul 11 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #9 

• Member No.: 47,939

Actually, I just checked UPS is a lot less for four 40 lb 24" boxes is about $110. So looks like the best option is to take what you can physically manage (checking bags via Amtrack) and shipping the rest...

Hope that helps
+Reply
Guest_HenryG_*
post Aug 1 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #10 

• Guests

Megabus is definitely the best way to go. smile.gif
+Reply

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 06:48 PM