Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trade offs?

Amerosa
post Feb 16 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #1 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 12,689

So, when I first came to this school it was fine, but shortly after my arrival construction started. Now it has been a year and a half and construction is still going on. This year alone we have lost power four times for a minimum of two hours each and have even lost running water for an entire night and had to wait until the next morning (Tower One). We are constantly having to walk on temporary walk ways, navigate through fences, and on top of that live with the sound of construction all day every day. I don't even know what it is like for commuters, who have lost parking spots every semester and have been pushed farther and farther away from campus.

What are the benefits to all of this? Students are paying customers, we all pay to be here yet none of us will even ever get to use the new buildings or get compensation for the maintenance and sound problems we live with. We are paying the same tuition as students who will be arriving when the buildings are completed, who don't have to go through what we have gone through, and who will be having an overall better college experience.

Edit: This doesn't exactly have to do with the construction but I just find it funny and worth mentioning that as I write this, someone is stuck in the elevator. I can hear UPD from my room telling her to wait and that the repairman is coming, meanwhile this is the third time its happened (not to the same person) this week and I've lost count of how many times this year.

We are temporary customers: this isn't a home, this isn't a community, we are paying to be here; after graduation we will leave. What do we get for our money?

College is a business, and we are all suckers for paying to come to Buffalo State College.
Go to the top of the page
+Reply
Catherine
post Feb 16 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #2 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 13,950

Yep for commuters it is just as bad. I have been late to class just about every day cause I cannot find parking, though I arrive at least 20 min before school starts, and sometimes earlier than that. Then on top of things I have to park on the other side of grant and walk to bulgur in the cold with asthma. It is absoulty ridiculous to pay for parking, if and when I can get it. Once I even had to NOT go to class because there was no parking.
+Reply
Pettjm54
post Feb 19 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #3 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 12,447

Amerosa your argument make no sense to me and is quite frankly stupid... your complaining about construction and how your so bothered and inconvenienced yet you want improvements. Well sorry to say the improvements cant happen over night as much as Buffalo State would love for that to be true. You have two options here... 1. Transfer.. or 2. Get over it.
+Reply
jarrod
post Feb 22 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #4 

• Member No.: 13,934

I agree with you completely. While it is wonderful that Buffalo State is improving I believe their efforts are much too expansive. This should have been a project that worked on one or two projects at a time, not all of them. The problems with water and electricity are rampant at this school in the dorms but it is just patched up and looked over. I realize improvements are necessary but to have to travel around large work areas to get to certain areas in campus is an inconvenience, to have to listen to drilling and heavy machinery during class is a large distraction. Very little has been done to mediate these disturbances. These are things that those of us who are only at the school for a few years will have to just deal with and never see any results for. But then again, we're just a number here anyway.
+Reply
Chrissy K
post Feb 26 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #5 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Super Mods
  • Member No.: 14,431

Here is an update about the construction from the Dean of Students that might be interested in: http://ask.buffalostate.edu/index.php?showtopic=6751&hl=.

Also, here is a link to the construction website that might help: http://www.buffalostate.edu/financeandmana...onstruction.xml.
+Reply
Pettjm54
post Mar 1 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #6 

• Advanced Member

Buffalo State needed to do these projects all at once? Do you see how difficult times are? Do you see how crappy NYS finances are? While we had the money we needed to do these projects. Again.. your complaining about problems.. that THEY ARE FIXING but its an inconvenience to you both ways. and you are not just a number... go to UB and tell me its different there.. also yes the reshalls suckkk i was in tower 1 and omg it sucked but after the new reshall is built ..each tower will under go an extensive renovation.. and yes you wont enjoy it cause you will be graduated by then.. oh well.. woe is life. ill say again.. deal.. or transfer.
+Reply
Chrissy K
post Mar 1 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #7 

• Advanced Member

I feel like if there wasn't this construction going on we would be complaining about something else, like how behind Buff State is and how old our buildings are compared to other schools. These changes have to happen at some point, although it is an inconvenience that most of us won't get to enjoy the good that comes out of this. Some of the things they are working on are actually pretty cool... the new math and science center sounds awesome! So even if we won't get to benefit directly from it, hopefully students in the future will be getting an even better education and that might somehow affect us, especially if that means they are better prepared for the "real world."
+Reply
Chrissy K
post Mar 30 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #8 

• Advanced Member

Another interesting link about this stuff... here is a virtual tour of what campus will look like when the construction is done! It is pretty impressive!
http://wwwu.buffalostate.edu/tour/construction/
+Reply
Chrissy K
post Apr 1 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #9 

• Advanced Member

After reading this past issue of The Record (which actually was pretty decent!) I noticed a trend with the construction that is being done... I find it interesting that all of the updates Buff State is making are in the realms of science and technology. I think its great because so far Buff State is known for being a good school for the arts, but we are also known for our diversity, so it is important that we do stay current with other aspects as well to keep up with other schools!
+Reply
Nick S
post Apr 7 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #10 

• Member No.: 15,032

Honestly, I'm just happy to see that our money is being put to good use.
+Reply
Amerosa
post Apr 8 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #11 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 12,689

Our money is being put to good use, but it will not benefit us in the slightest and only diminishes our stay at Buffalo State. If you were to go up to someone in high school still and tell them about Buffalo State, they would never want to come here because of all the problems.

QUOTE (Nick S @ Apr 7 2010, 11:38 PM) *
Honestly, I'm just happy to see that our money is being put to good use.
+Reply
Pettjm54
post Apr 18 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #12 

• Advanced Member

Amerosa, I am a tour guide for this school, my job is to get high schoolers to attend Buffalo State. I would appreciate it if you do not insult my job. Students and parents are not as short sighted as yourself. Transfer. Please.
+Reply
Chrissy K
post Oct 21 2011, 08:41 AM
Post #13 

• Advanced Member

Just a quick update on the parking situation...

In September 2011, the college announced a new report done regarding parking at Buffalo State and are looking for recommendations/feedback from US.

You can review the full report here:

There is also an article in The Record that is a good summary of this report that you can see here:
http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-buffalo-...150366843479728

If parking on campus is something that concerns you, you can email your feedback on this report and ideas about parking to to vpfm@buffalostate.edu by Friday, October 28, 2011!
+Reply

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 04:48 AM