15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Games

jarrod
post Feb 22 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #261 

• Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13,934

It is a joke to say that due to the low cost of the school we are not able to have internet gaming access. This school is a state school which means 2/3 of our tuition is paid by taxpayers. All State college excluding Universities have roughly the same tuition rate with the difference being within 100 dollars. To say that we cannot afford the bandwidth is completely false. I have been to and visited many state schools (ie. Potsdam, Plattsburgh, UB, Albany, Brockport) and they all have internet access for their online games. It may not be a top of the line connection but it is at least a connection. Buffalo State is a commuter college and then a dorming college. While you would not realize this due to the parking situation, just take a tour of any of the substandard student housing and you will see what I mean. ResLife at this school is a joke, they lose mail (books especially) and tell you whatever you want to hear to get you out of the building (send your mac address and youll have xbox live!!!). Many rooms are falling apart and require repairs... put in a work order and they'll send someone to fix it in 10 weeks, who cares if the roof is leaking or the toilet is falling out of the wall and the plumbing doesn't work. There is a point we must all demand at least an average living capacity. Hopefully Buff State checks these boards and uses it in their evaluations of departments... if they even evaluate.
Go to the top of the page
+Reply
Pettjm54
post Mar 1 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #262 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 12,447

QUOTE (jarrod @ Feb 22 2010, 12:48 AM) *
It is a joke to say that due to the low cost of the school we are not able to have internet gaming access. This school is a state school which means 2/3 of our tuition is paid by taxpayers. All State college excluding Universities have roughly the same tuition rate with the difference being within 100 dollars. To say that we cannot afford the bandwidth is completely false. I have been to and visited many state schools (ie. Potsdam, Plattsburgh, UB, Albany, Brockport) and they all have internet access for their online games. It may not be a top of the line connection but it is at least a connection. Buffalo State is a commuter college and then a dorming college. While you would not realize this due to the parking situation, just take a tour of any of the substandard student housing and you will see what I mean. ResLife at this school is a joke, they lose mail (books especially) and tell you whatever you want to hear to get you out of the building (send your mac address and youll have xbox live!!!). Many rooms are falling apart and require repairs... put in a work order and they'll send someone to fix it in 10 weeks, who cares if the roof is leaking or the toilet is falling out of the wall and the plumbing doesn't work. There is a point we must all demand at least an average living capacity. Hopefully Buff State checks these boards and uses it in their evaluations of departments... if they even evaluate.

I totally agree with you!! the reshalls are a joke for the amount of money being paid. as for the bandwidth issues.. what i said was a quote from the associate director of reslife curtis brickhouse. the answer made sense to me but was unaware other state schools lacked this problem.. honestly though.. im not surprised.. its buff state.. the last school to do anything.
+Reply
Chiyeung
post Apr 5 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #263 

• Member No.: 15,164

Oh gosh, don't tell me internet access is bad.. so uhh Vent + eveonline is going to be fail on Buff's internet network?
+Reply
Amerosa
post Apr 12 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #264 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 12,689

Yes

QUOTE (Chiyeung @ Apr 5 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Oh gosh, don't tell me internet access is bad.. so uhh Vent + eveonline is going to be fail on Buff's internet network?
+Reply
Chiyeung
post Apr 13 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #265 

Possible way for us to bring our own connection?
+Reply
Pettjm54
post Apr 18 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #266 

• Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chiyeung @ Apr 13 2010, 09:41 PM) *

your own connection meaning what? wireless broadband? (verizon or att etc..) if so then yea you can do that cause it doesnt affect the college.. other than that im gonna give you a preemptive no... but what did you have in mind?
+Reply
Chrissy K
post Apr 19 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #267 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Super Mods
  • Member No.: 14,431

QUOTE (Chiyeung @ Apr 13 2010, 10:41 PM) *

I am pretty sure you are not even allowed to bring your own wireless connection because if a lot of people did, it would make the internet really slow for everyone.
+Reply
jarrod
post Apr 19 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #268 

• Member No.: 13,934

My biggest suggestion to anybody wanting to play games online is to live off-campus. I will be moving off campus with a friend of mine and we are looking for 1-2 roommates. Single bedrooms twice the size as on campus (you can double up with a friend if you want to pay even less) and a high speed internet connection. The cost is $450 a person with utilities included or $360 dollars a person if you want to double with someone. The rooms are way larger than on campus and can accomodate two people easily. Like I said, if you want to play games online than you cant live on campus. If you are interested send me an email at seyboljp01@mail.buffalostate.edu
+Reply
Pettjm54
post Apr 19 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #269 

• Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chrissy K @ Apr 19 2010, 01:28 AM) *
I am pretty sure you are not even allowed to bring your own wireless connection because if a lot of people did, it would make the internet really slow for everyone.

Correct, you are not allowed to bring your own wireless router.
+Reply
Amerosa
post Apr 20 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #270 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 12,689

Having your own wireless connection would not affect anyone else, the rule is that you must use the campus provided internet so that they can monitor what you do.
+Reply
Chiyeung
post Mar 9 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #271 

starcraft 2 anyone? works well on this connection
+Reply
Guest_DarkKnightRises_*
post Jun 30 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #272 

• Guests

QUOTE (SpartanPhalanx1 @ Jun 24 2011, 09:43 AM) *
Well, without a doubt there is, or shortly will be, 4G coverage in Buffalo. I KNOW that there are people that use 3G to game, but I am more comfortable with 4G. If 2 or 3 GB really is not enough then the standard 5GB plans that Verizon has would be enough for sure. I am not up there yet so I am really unable to test this out. If anyone up there wants to play for an hour or even half an hour on their cell connections and let us know the amount of data used, I would appreciate it.

True 4G doesn't even exist btw, you know that right? It's marginally faster but at a speed that's virtually unnoticeable. Google 'true 4G'
+Reply
Alex Work
post Nov 10 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #273 

• Member No.: 27,921

QUOTE (DarkKnightRises @ Jun 30 2011, 06:14 AM) *
True 4G doesn't even exist btw, you know that right? It's marginally faster but at a speed that's virtually unnoticeable. Google 'true 4G'

So true. The 4g we have right now isn't so much a an actual 4g network, but still a late 3g/pre-cursor 4g, if that makes any sense at all. The 4g that is envisioned to be as fast as home broadband, but today's current 4g falls short of this speed connection (100Mbps to 1Gbps range) which would be roughly ten times faster the average 3G network.
+Reply
Guest_Megabus Code_*
post Sep 12 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #274 

• Guests

Yeah. I sent my MAC address in for my PS2 also. Any news on PS2 online?
+Reply
Jocuri Copii
post Sep 13 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #275 

• Member No.: 53,658

Some PC games work now but we haven't gotten to PS2 and Xbox stuff yet. mellow.gif
+Reply
Guest_ClixsenseGuide_*
post Sep 20 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #276 

• Guests

nice to know this opertunity. Thanks.
+Reply
Guest_censtaf123_*
post Sep 21 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #277 

• Guests

You know what I meant.

If only legal filesharing was going on I don't think it would present a bandwidth problem.
+Reply
Guest_nam_*
post Sep 23 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #278 

• Guests

yeer
+Reply
walker
post Sep 30 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #279 

• Member No.: 55,298

what about Diablo3 or any other games such as Balck ops. those are great games and would like to play them
+Reply
Guest_jemyclarke_*
post Feb 12 2013, 06:40 AM
Post #280 

• Guests

Games are all time favorite. Whenever I am tired then I play games on playstation 3 and every Sunday I play different games with my friends. Call of Duty and WWE are mine favorite games. Recently I purchased latest version of WWE and feel like I play real.
+Reply

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 11:15 AM