Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do I apply for on or off campus work-study / part time jobs?, Please read

Trebor3093
post Nov 28 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #1 

• Group: Members
  • Member No.: 54,696

I live in NYC. I'm a transfer with about 26-29 credits that got accepted into the school for the Spring 2013 semester. How do I apply for a work study / part time job on campus or outside so I have a job the second I get to school? It doesn't matter if it's a job in the library or caffeteria or bookstore, as long as they pay. How much do they usually pay? How many hours a week do I get to work? I will not go into debt.

I really need help getting a guarranteed job for when I get to campus. Anyone please help?
Go to the top of the page
+Reply
Trebor3093
post Nov 28 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #2 

by the way, I clicked on "I would like to get student support services for part-time jobs" when completing the SUNY online application form and I haven't gotten anything yet, relating to this.
+Reply
FINAIDADM
post Nov 28 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #3 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 203

Unfortunately, our Federal Work Study awards are already awarded out for the year. You may want to contact the Job Location & Development Program in our Career Development Center to search for leads on part-time employment opportunities.
+Reply
Trebor3093
post Nov 28 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #4 

QUOTE (FINAIDADM @ Nov 28 2012, 03:20 PM) *
Unfortunately, our Federal Work Study awards are already awarded out for the year. You may want to contact the Job Location & Development Program in our Career Development Center to search for leads on part-time employment opportunities.

When do you recommend I start applying for work-study awards so I can get it next time? Do I have to do it at the start of 2013? I'll start searching Career Development Center today so thanks
+Reply
FINAIDADM
post Nov 28 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #5 

• Advanced Member

QUOTE (Trebor3093 @ Nov 28 2012, 04:21 PM) *
When do you recommend I start applying for work-study awards so I can get it next time? Do I have to do it at the start of 2013? I'll start searching Career Development Center today so thanks

Be sure to file the FAFSA by March 1st for fall 2013. Mark yes to the questions asking if you would like to be considered for work study. If it is not listed in your award letter for fall, please contact our office so we can advise you what to do next.
+Reply
Student Ambassad...
post Dec 5 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #6 

• Advanced Member
  • Member No.: 34,425

QUOTE (Trebor3093 @ Nov 28 2012, 11:43 AM) *
I live in NYC. I'm a transfer with about 26-29 credits that got accepted into the school for the Spring 2013 semester. How do I apply for a work study / part time job on campus or outside so I have a job the second I get to school? It doesn't matter if it's a job in the library or caffeteria or bookstore, as long as they pay. How much do they usually pay? How many hours a week do I get to work? I will not go into debt.

I really need help getting a guarranteed job for when I get to campus. Anyone please help?

Some other options would be looking into places off-campus that are easily accessible by bus (assuming you won't have a car on campus?). I would recommend looking into the Walden-Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga/Depew as it is one 45 minute bus ride to get there and holds many of opportunities for employment, I'm sure. The Boulevard Mall takes two buses to get to, but is also fairly close. Up and down Elmwood Avenue there are easy places to get to like Starbucks, McDonald's, Target, Tops, Dollar Store, CVS, on and on the list goes, that might be looking for people pretty regularly. If you already have a job at home in a chain store, you could see if there is a Buffalo location nearby and see if you could get transfered!
One other thing you could consider is seeing what departments we have here on campus and if any of them apply to your major and would be good work experience, calling them, explaining your credentials and interest in their office's work, and asking if they have room to take on someone as a Student Assistant. This isn't federal money; it's their own money from their budget! This may not get you far, but is definitely worth a shot.

I hope this helps!
Mandi, Student Ambassador
+Reply
TreborHG
post Dec 7 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #7 

• Member No.: 60,847

QUOTE (Student Ambassador @ Dec 5 2012, 03:11 PM) *
Some other options would be looking into places off-campus that are easily accessible by bus (assuming you won't have a car on campus?). I would recommend looking into the Walden-Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga/Depew as it is one 45 minute bus ride to get there and holds many of opportunities for employment, I'm sure. The Boulevard Mall takes two buses to get to, but is also fairly close. Up and down Elmwood Avenue there are easy places to get to like Starbucks, McDonald's, Target, Tops, Dollar Store, CVS, on and on the list goes, that might be looking for people pretty regularly. If you already have a job at home in a chain store, you could see if there is a Buffalo location nearby and see if you could get transfered!
One other thing you could consider is seeing what departments we have here on campus and if any of them apply to your major and would be good work experience, calling them, explaining your credentials and interest in their office's work, and asking if they have room to take on someone as a Student Assistant. This isn't federal money; it's their own money from their budget! This may not get you far, but is definitely worth a shot.

I hope this helps!
Mandi, Student Ambassador

Thanks so much. It did help. I'm looking at craiglist and other sites to see if I can find work for when I get there too. I'm also trying to apply to any scholarships I am eligible for. I don't really follow the whole "pay it off after you graduate" line that most people say. Thanks, it did help!
+Reply
TreborHG
post Dec 8 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #8 

• Member No.: 60,847

QUOTE (archgrant @ Dec 8 2012, 12:17 AM) *
Best is to with internet based job which can be useful during study and that won't ask you hours of working..just a few hours of work!!

I don't understand what you mean by "internet based jobs". Where can I go to get one? Can you send me a link or something? please
+Reply
Trebor1330
post Apr 21 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #9 

• Member No.: 70,676

QUOTE (FINAIDADM @ Nov 28 2012, 05:40 PM) *
Be sure to file the FAFSA by March 1st for fall 2013. Mark yes to the questions asking if you would like to be considered for work study. If it is not listed in your award letter for fall, please contact our office so we can advise you what to do next.

I just recieved my package for the fall semester but sadly I see nothing on the work study program. Was it suppose to come with the package? How do I still apply for an on campus job for the fall, if I still can? Thank you
+Reply
FINAIDADM
post Apr 22 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #10 

• Advanced Member

QUOTE (Trebor1330 @ Apr 21 2013, 04:27 PM) *
I just recieved my package for the fall semester but sadly I see nothing on the work study program. Was it suppose to come with the package? How do I still apply for an on campus job for the fall, if I still can? Thank you

Please contact our office using your Buffalo State email address to finaid@buffalostate.edu. Include your name and Banner ID and request that your 13-14 package be reviewed for work study eligibility. Also, you may wish to contact the Career Development Center for other on-campus work opportunities.

Financial Aid
+Reply
Trebor1330
post Apr 22 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #11 

• Member No.: 70,676

QUOTE (FINAIDADM @ Apr 22 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Please contact our office using your Buffalo State email address to finaid@buffalostate.edu. Include your name and Banner ID and request that your 13-14 package be reviewed for work study eligibility. Also, you may wish to contact the Career Development Center for other on-campus work opportunities.

Financial Aid

thank you so much. I will contact them.
+Reply

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 07:49 AM